Monogram Art Journal cover


I've seen other people decorate the covers of their art journals and decided to do one as well! I have a few Carpe Diem mixed media journals and the cover is just crying out for customization (see below for a "before" pic).

To start, I covered the entire area with heavy white gesso. Then I added various collage papers, followed by more heavy white gesso. Once this was dry, I went in with a honeycomb stencil and texture paste, then colored the honeycomb with watercolors and Distress Oxides.

The peonies were stamped onto tissue paper and then glued into place. For the center monogram, I traced a hexagon onto watercolor paper, painted it and cut it out. I painted my initials on watercolor paper as well and die cut them. I decided to add a foam layer underneath to give the monogram extra dimension.


 The original cover for my journal:



Materials used for this project:
Altenew Peony Bouquet stamps
Altenew Honeycomb stencil
Altenew Fine Alphabet dies
Tim Holtz collage paper - document
Distress Oxide ink pads in Antique Linen and Frayed Burlap
Jane Davenport inks in Pirate's Gold and Tinsel
Holbein watercolor paint in Raw Umber
Daniel Smith watercolor paint in Quinacridone Gold and Phthalo Green Blue Shade
Stampin Up ink pads in Rose Red, Primrose Petals, Pretty in Pink, Mellow Moss, Old Olive and Always Artichoke
White tissue paper
Canson XL watercolor paper

I am entering this project in the following challenges:

Comments

  1. What a lovely cover for your journal. I love the coloured and textured background that makes your monogram pop. Thanks for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment