Steampunk Textured Card

Tim Holtz's recent Steampunk Valentine tutorial had tons of great ideas and inspired me to make this card. I don't have Tim's cool Foundry embossing folder, but I do have a Stamperia 3D mold which gives a similar "metal rectangles with rivets" look. The great thing about a mold is I can easily cut it into any shape (using a cookie cutter), so I chose a star.



Once the star was dry, I painted it with black gesso, then used Stamperia Patina Effect Pastes to give it a worn metal look. For the background, I glued some Tim Holtz Typeset collage paper onto bristol smooth paper and then put white gesso on top.

I then used one of my favorite mixed media techniques - adding texture paste through a stencil. I added watercolors and some walnut ink crystals on top, and for even more texture, I added twine behind the star and put the sentiment on a piece of corrugated cardboard.

Materials used for this project:
Stamperia soft mold - Sea World Plaquette
Stamperia Patina Effects Pastes
Tim Holtz Small Talk stickers
Tim Holtz collage Paper - Typeset
Folkart crackle stencil
Distress Oxide ink pads in Antique Linen and Vintage Photo
Watercolor paints - Daniel Smith Phthalo Green Blue Shade and Holbein Raw Umber
Paper & Ink Arts walnut crystals
Crayola Model Magic
Black gesso
Heavy white gesso
White gesso
Gel medium
3D gloss gel
Twine
Corrugated cardboard

I am entering this project in the following challenges:

Comments