Mixed Media Valentine's Day card

This Valentine's Day card is a mix of old and new for me. I started making cards 2 years ago with stamps and ink pads, so that is my comfort zone, but I also love trying new things and just got some Finnabair pastes, which I've used here.

To start, I inked the background with Distress Oxides to give a slightly worn paper look. Then I used the MFT Romantic Script stamp to stamp the text. I also love using stencils and used a Tim Holtz Roses one along with texture paste. Once the paste was dry, I inked the roses and leaves in pink and green. I just love the look of the roses over the writing!


The textured lace along the bottom comes from an unexpected place - one of my kids' craft kits! My daughters love the Whipple Cream sets, where you decorate small desserts with fake icing. They got the Whipple Sugar Lace Princess set for Christmas, which comes with a neat silicone mold to make lace strips, hearts and a butterfly.


The oval frame is made with the Papertrey Ink Simply Jane set. I used a die and cut 4 layers, glued the layers together, then covered the frame with black gesso and Finnabair rust pastes. To make the key, I used Crayola Model Magic, a Stamperia mold, black gesso and Finnabair patina pastes. Finally, the sentiment is from Tim Holtz Small Talk (cut from a longer quote) and I distressed the edges of the card with scissors.

Materials used for this project:
MFT Romantic Script stamp
Tim Holtz Layered Stencil - Roses
Papertrey Ink Simply Jane die
Tim Holtz Small Talk stickers
Stamperia mold - Clocks and Keys
Finnabair rust paste set
Finnabair patina effect paste set
Watercolor paper
Texture paste
Heavy black gesso
Gel medium
3D gloss gel
Distress Oxide ink pads in Old Paper, Antique Linen and Vintage Photo
Stampin Up ink pads in Blushing Bride, Mellow Moss and Soft Suede
Whipple Sugar Lace Princess silicone mold


I am entering this project in the following challenges:





Comments

  1. Such a beautiful card! The vintage style looks amazing with the key and rusty frame, and the textures roses in the background are so pretty 😀. Thanks so much for joining us at Creative Artiste! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a stunning feminine card, Catherine! I love the stenciled roses with the script peeking through the texture paste. So pretty! And the rusted frame looks like it's been around for ages! Well done! I'm so happy you shared this with us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you crafty-smart? If you haveta buy your kids toys, at least use them in your art! Win-win! I Love it! Your card is gorgeous and I agree about the roses on text. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Love to Craft Challenge. We hope you continue to play with us! XOXO, Aimeslee LTCCB DT http://paper-paisleys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great card - thanks for sharing it with us at the Love to Scrap Challenge.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment